Unsung Heroes | History Corner | Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav, Ministry of Culture, Government of India

Unsung Heroes Detail

Unsung Heroes Detail

Katragadda Rama Sitamma

Guntur, Andhra Pradesh

June 30, 2022

Rama Sitamma was born in Mandadam village, Mangalagiri taluka, Guntur district in 1883 to Nutakki Kondayya and Nagamma. She studied in that village school. In the year 1900, she married Katragadda Narasaya of Mogalrajpuram, Vijayawada. In 1916, she was widowed. Madhusudanarao, the son of Katragaddagangaiya, adopted her because she had no children. She married her elder granddaughter Thulasamma to her son Madhusudanarao. When Gandhiji came to Andhra in 1929 to collect funds, she was also one of the donors to the fund. Her son Madhusudhana Rao has been involved in the national movement since 1920. He has been the secretary of the West Krishna District Congress Association for some time. He took part in the Salt Satyagraha in 1930 and was arrested while leading a volunteer camp. That is why she has patriotism as well as compassion for the volunteers and those who were beaten with sticks. There is a freshwater well next to her house. Some youths hoisted the national flag on 14 November 1932 on a large tree next to Seethamma's house. The police came there and beat the youth with sticks. The young men fell unconscious with injuries from those blows. She saw it and brought it to their house and gave them water, food, and medicine. That was treason, a great crime in the then British government. As a result, she was arrested and sentenced to one year in a C class. She was fined 500 rupees. But she went to Rayavellur jail without fear and without paying a fine. Both the mother and son were arrested. The police had to foreclosure the house but also took jewelry from her daughter-in-law. Enduring the many hardships given by the infernal C- Class came paralysis in arm and leg. She recovered from that condition as she had fat writing that would live to be 90 years old. She did not hear officials say she would be released if she apologized. Her condition did not improve and she was shifted from Rayavellur Jail to Madura Jail. She returned home from jail after completing her sentence. In December 1933, Gandhi was promoted by the Harijan movement and came to Andhra Pradesh to raise funds. She gave other gold bangles, a ring, and 1300 cash as a gift to Gandhiji. In addition, Gandhi's words were put into practice. She arranged joint meals for the Harijans and the rest of the castes in their house. She needed a lot of heart sobriety to face the community in those days. After the independence of the country, the Government of India honored her with a Certificate of Merit. She did not receive a pension from the government. She passed away on 4 September 1973 after spending 90 years happily among family members.